Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nosmo King & Friends

So apparently, all UC campuses will be banning smoking from their campuses over the next two years. [Read article here]
Even though I don’t smoke, can’t stand the smell, etc etc., I find this policy to be pretty ridiculous and unnecessary. The primary impetus is to “reduce people’s exposure to secondhand smoke [and for it to be] an overall reduction in smoking among those who work or study on the campuses”. BS, it’s not like the innocent doe-eyed freshmen are clueless and unexposed to smoking prior to entering college. They’re going to do what they want and choose what they choose regardless of this policy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not an advocate for smoking or any other activity that could seriously harm one’s health (I don’t even drink soda for goodness sakes); however, I do find this policy to be pretty useless and can foresee a lot more on-campus debates/protests that to me, is not only disruptive to the flow of a school campus, but also an unnecessary battle.
I can say that I’ve stayed relatively strong in the face of peer pressure, even when my closest friends mysteriously started getting more hyperactive at birthday parties (drinking alcohol WHAT, smoking weed WHAT). I admit, I didn’t handle it well at all. In fact, I played the part of the responsible church-going (the good ones, not the fake ones who say they love their religion, and proceed to get high and do sexy times over the weekend) mama bear and scolded them and yes, judged them. However, as those activities became the norm as high school came to an end and we all entered college, people began to actuallyfeel sorry for me that I don’t drink or partake in any of the cool kid activities. Okay, I don’t want to be the dbag who brags about how I am capable of having fun, clubbing, etc. without drinking, because I am almost 99% sure that everybody can have fun to some extent while being completely sober. However, once that person opens their mouth and asks me “but awwww, why not??” I’m sorry but no, I don’t need your sympathy because I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything in life by not ohhh, taking that sip, or yea, taking that drag (did I even use that in the correct context..). Or comes the “I don’t bereev you.” What does that even mean, that I look like someone who would smoke/drink? That I look like I party? Or that I seem like someone who would lie about that to save face? What, how, implications of these assumptions, I don’t understand. And them comes the “OH i know, you’re not 21 right?” No.
I do what I choose to do because I know what makes me happy and I know what I need. My decision to drink before/after I’m 21 will only waver if I ever feel the urge to drink (or in the more likely case, for professional reasons), and not because of mere legality issues (however, never underestimate Irvine PD, cuz they bada$s). It was immature of me to judge my friends in the past because in the end, they were doing what I was doing: choosing for themselves. That is why I think this policy will only be useful in that it will rid the campuses of second-hand smoking (a huge plus in my book, but not too significant of a problem on UCI’s campus), but unfortunately won’t play a factor in a student’s choice to or not to smoke.
Until next time,
Lils

No comments:

Post a Comment